Where We Came From
By always Taking Care of The Customer and adapting itself to their changing needs, TC Industries has survived and grown for generations.
In 1881, William D. Gates purchased the Spring Valley Tile Works in Crystal Lake, IL and changed the name to Terra Cotta Works. The name was later changed to American Terra Cotta Ceramic Company. The companies made architectural terra cotta, glazed exterior tile for buildings, and teco pottery. In 1935, George A. Berry, Jr., purchased this firm and reorganized it as the American Terra Cotta Corporation.
During World War II, the U.S. government asked us to help in the war effort. They installed three quench and temper lines in our plant and we stopped producing terra cotta and began annealing and stress-relieving metal components used in the war effort. When the war ended, the Company bought the government’s heat treating equipment and continued heat treating metal. The Company also returned to the production of terra cotta products.
During the 1950’s and 1960’s, we increased our heat-treating capabilities. The Mill Products Division was created in 1955. Mill Products specializes in providing heat treating and straightening facilities for rounds, flats, plate, structural shapes and tubing in lengths of up to 50 feet. The Processed Steel Division was established in 1958 and is now called the Processed Steel Company. In 1966, we discontinued making terra cotta products and now only produce cutting edges and end bits for original equipment manufacturers of construction machinery. Processed Steel Company supplies original equipment to all major domestic manufacturers of earth moving equipment. A pioneer in the manufacture of heat-treated carbon-manganese-boron steel edges, Processed Steel Company is recognized by customers, such as Caterpillar and Volvo, as the largest independent producer of heat treated cutting edges in the United States.
Since then, we have energetically pursued new markets, opening TC Industries of Canada, Ltd. in 1978, TC Industries of Europe, Ltd. in 1985 and TC Industries of Canada – Western Division in 1997. Our Canadian facilities are located in Guelph, Ontario and Selkirk, Manitoba. TCI of Europe is located on the North Sea in Saltburn, England and our World Headquarters still reside on the original piece of property bought by Mr. Gates in Crystal Lake, IL today.
TC is Family Owned and Operated
TC Industries has been owned and operated by the Berry family since 1935. Bob and George Berry are the current Presidents and remain active in the business day to day. Bert and Sterling Berry are the newest additions to TC and are the children of George. Today TC Industries employs over 500 team members in the U.S., Canada and the U.K.